Followers

Tuesday 29 December 2015

Daily Prompt: Ear Worm

Write whatever you normally write about, and weave in a book quote, film quote, or song lyric that’s been sticking with you this week.

I normally write about what the WordPress Daily prompt team suggest to write about. This week it was the Christmas week, a little inappropriate to write all about Christmas with all the trimmings, so let’s have a jolly happy go lucky quote from “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens

You are fettered," said Scrooge, trembling. "Tell me why?"
"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.” 

Which is really a cheerful quote - no let’s leave it to Scrooge to meet his fate with the 3 ghosts and his happy ending.


A film quote? Mr. Swiss are doing a re—run at home of the film series Fargo and so I found a nice little quote “There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast and dinner.” - No, not so good. You lot are never satisfied. Song lyrics are in three languages at my place, so let’s leave it, What a miserable prompt this is. On the other hand I write about a lot of things, but not so normal.

Harold and his hens


On the other hand, let’s talk about food. That has been sticking with me all week, since around before Christmas because I had to make sure I had enough in the kitchen to feed a family of three during the Christmas holidays. The shops closed on 24th December in the afternoon and remained shut until 26th December when they decided to open for one day, only to close again on 27th December but we survived. Thanks to a careful logistic planning by Mr. Swiss and Mrs. Angloswiss the cupboard was not bare and we ate the remainders in the evening, Phew! now that is behind us all, or is it? No, of course not, the jolly eating carousel with a famine threat hovering in the background is upon us again and we have to survive from New Years Eve until 4th January, with on day in between for buying what we forgot, or may have run out of.

I ran out of ideas of what to cook and Mr. Swiss did not  really have any, the food had to be fresh and the freezer was full. It was then I had an idea.

“Where are you going with the axe?” asked Mr. Swiss

“I thought I could cook a nice fresh turkey for the new year.”

“with an axe?”

“There is a farm in the next village and they have turkeys running around. I am sure that would not miss one.”

“You cannot just kill a turkey, you will have to ask the farmer.”

“I could do it when he isn’t looking.”

An argument followed and so we forgot about the whole thing. I quite like turkey, but they are just a little too large for our family I suppose. 

“I could perhaps go to the chicken farm across the road”


“Forget it” and so the conversation came to an end. I am still wondering what to serve and I would so like some fresh meat. Unfortunately the cows are still in the barn throughout the Winter. Perhaps the next prompt might give me an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment