Followers

Sunday 20 January 2008

Sunday Lunch - Roast Shoulder of Port, Red Cabbage and Potatoes

Something I now and again cook on a Sunday. Red cabbage is something I knew in England, as it was always sold pickled in vineagar. In Switzerland I learnt that you can also cook it and it suits very well to pork or bacon.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Here are the ingredients. Some marrow bones, leek, seleriac, carrots and herbs which thanks to the mild Winter I still have in the garden - sage, thyme and rosemary. First of all I spice the pork shoulder by rubbing mustard into it and sprinkling with salt pepper, or whatever. I then melt some butter in a casserole and fry the pork on all sides to close the pores.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then I put the bones, vegetables and herbs into the casserole with the meat and fry it up a bit.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then add some white wine - any will do from a supermarket, doesn't have to be the most expensive, but not the cheapest.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Put the lid on the casserole and into the oven at a temperature of 180°C for about one and half to two hours depending on the size. My meat was about one kilo heavy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And now for the red cabbage. I had half left over from the last time in the fridge, so I bought another and made one a half - just depends on how big they are.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I then take an apple to cook with the red cabbage. It can be a sour apple - just enhances the taste.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Peel the apple, take out the stalks and the core and chop into small pieces. Cut the cabbage into slices.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Take a pressure cooker and melt some butter in it.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Put the red cabbage in the pressure cooker with the chopped apple and mix to fry. Season with salt and pepper and add some red wine.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook for about thirty minutes under pressure.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And now for the potatoes. Peel them and cut into pieces.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like to preserve as much vitamin as I can when I cook vegetable and that is one of the reasons why I actually cook my potatoes in the micro wave. I just put them in a microwave dish, put some salt over them and put the lid on. I don't need to add water as the potatoes have enough water themselves.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


While I have been preparing the vegetables, the roast pork has been cooking in the oven for about one and a half hours, so it is time to see how it is getting on.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I now take the meat and veg out of the casserole and put it on a plate that I have warmed in the oven. I drain the sauce into a small saucepan and thicken it with a special thickening sauce mixture for meat. Something like cornflour but with a brown colour.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Now I take the lid off the pressure cooker with the red cabbage and add some vineager - about 1-2 tablespoons.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I put the meat and vegetable in a warmed dish and pour the sauce over it and the red cabbage in a separate dish - otherwise the meat and veg will pick up too much of the red colour from the cabbage.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And all that it left to say is Enjoy your meal - en guete

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



No comments:

Post a Comment