Followers

Wednesday 14 January 2009

MULTIPLY Rita's "Riting" Challenge #4: Moon cats

MonoMondayMoon-1[1]

Sitting on the wall looking at the moon, Rusty the cat got nostalgic. He loved the moonlit nights and tonight was a special moon. So big and so fluorescent he had not seen since he was a kitten. He remembered the stories mama cat told him and his brothers and sisters about the moon.
“The moon is important son, the bigger the better. If you meet your partner on a night like this then the resulting kittens are very special.”
“Are we special kittens mum” asked Rusty
“For a mama kitty all kittens are special, but yes Rusty, I met your father on such a night like this so I suppose that makes you all something special.”

Rusty had never forgotten these words, so on nights like this he was always waiting for the female cat of his dreams. He had met many female cats over the years and fathered many kittens, but he was still waiting for the special one. Rusty remembered his father, which was an exception in the cat world, as his father stayed by the mother cat forever. He was a large ginger cat, with the most striking green eyes and Rusty had inherited these characteristics from his father.

Suddenly the silence was broken and a female tabby cat jumped onto the wall where Rusty was sitting.
“Please help me” she said to Rusty “he is after me”.
Rusty looked at the tabby cat and immediately felt sorry for her. She was covered in mud and was shaking.
“What has happened to you.”
“He is following me, the big black tom cat that lives in the sewers. He wants to make kittens with me but I don’t like him. He smells and is very rough. He likes to keep his women and the kittens with him in the sewers. He dragged me down into the sewer and I fell in the water. I only managed to escape because a rat scuttled past and he decided to follow it. Afterwards I had to run for my life and that is why I am so dirty.”
Rusty knew he must do something and decided to help her lick her fur clean. Suddenly he noticed a rather strong smell in the air.
“He is here, I can smell him” said the female cat
“I can smell him as well” and then they saw him. It was a large black long haired cat. His fur was knotted in places and part of one of his ears was missing, ripped off in a cat fight in earlier days.
“There you are my beauty, did you think you could escape from my clutching claws.”
“Leave her alone, go back to where you came from. This is a lady and not one of your sewer cats.” answered Rusty.
“Well it just so happens that a ginger cat does not impress me, especially when he has nothing better to do than to help lick a female cat clean. I like them dirty, makes things much more interesting.
With these last words Rusty pounced on the sewer cat and they were locked in combat.”
The female cat wanted to help, but she was too weak from her earlier fight with the sewer cat. She then did something strange. She looked at the moon and stood on her hind legs and started to move her front paws together in a begging position. The moon grew larger, looked almost as if it would explode and then a ray of piercing light came from the moon and struck the two fighting cats. Rusty was blinded for just a moment, but the sewer cat could no longer see anything. Rusty saw his chance and launched an attack on the black cat with all his energy. The black cat cried out
“I am blind and can see no more” and smelt his way back to the sewers, which is not difficult for a cat.
“What happened” said Rusty to the female cat.
“I am a special cat” she answered “I was born on such a moonlit night as this and my mother gave me the name carried by my ancestors, I am called Basta. She told me if I was ever in trouble on such a night I just have to beg for help from the moon and help will come but only for special cats. Our great ancestor Bast still watches over his children, although he left this life many years ago.”
Rusty was very much impressed and after licking his wounds from the fight with the black cat turned to the female cat.
“Basta, I am honoured to meet you. When my mother told me that I was a special cat I did not know what she really meant, but now I do.”
And then Rusty gathered all his feline courage in his paws and knelt down before Basta.
“Basta would you like to have kittens with me.”
So what did Basta give as an answer? If you ever meet ginger tabby cats, then have respect for them. They could be a descendants from two of the special cats.


Rita's "Riting" Challenge #4: Moon cats

No comments:

Post a Comment