Followers

Sunday 7 April 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Alma Mater

You've been asked to speak at your high school Alma Mater - about the path of life (Whoa!). Draft the speech.



Kantijazz 027
Our local high school big band

I have been asked to speak on a serious matter, something concerning how your future life will develop, the individual paths that you will take. I did not ask to be asked, it just happened, so now listen to what I have to say.

The first fact is that none of you have anything to lose. If you are from a wealthy family, then you have less to lose, so you can take your risks as you feel like it. Daddy will pay. If daddy does not pay, then you will have to pull yourself together and start thinking for yourself which puts you in the same position as those that do not have such a rich family to back them up.

Stay cool at all times. If your colleagues are spending their time in the bar, or having a joint in their spare time, then they are the wrong friends, so avoid them or do not tell mummy or daddy. Such complications are not necessary on the way and this would shorten your path of life considerably. Look around you and observe your surroundings carefully.

Take into consideration if your town, or country, is what you want. Read the newspapers, see what is happening in other countries. Distance today is not a problem. Just think it over and decide where you want to go. Do not ask your parents what they think, they will want to keep you where you are probably. It is your life now and you have to make the choice.

If you decide to stay where you are, then look at the opportunities you have in your surroundings and make use of them. Your learning process does not finish here, this is just the beginning.

You can do anything you want, but it is up to you to take the path and go on your way. No-one will do it for you.

Reflecting on my own past, I spent many years at this establishment. At the time I found it a drag to be learning and taking examinations, but today I am glad I persevered. I am not a millionaire but my path was fruitful (with two children). Time goes quicker than you think, so prepare yourself for a path that will turn and twist for many years, it will rise and sink. You may marry, have a family, but afterwards the path continues. Life is a learning process until the end.

With these wise words, I will close my speech. Those of you that smoke, there are ash trays for your convenience just outside the entrance, please do not drop your cigarette ends on the floor. If any of you would like a few private words with me filling in the gaps left in this memorable speech, you can meet me in half an hour at the local bar, where we can discuss matters in a relaxed atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. as per usual, your writes are entertaining with a sense of humour and a lot of wisdom . Hugs you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't too sure about the wisdom in this one, but my kids survived.

      Delete