Followers

Tuesday 21 August 2007

July 17, 2007 - 9 weekdays to go of the holiday

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today the weather had cooled down a bit, instead of 30°C we "only" had about 28°C. It was a bit cloudy and the sun was not beating down all the time. Hubby made himself comfortable in the cool of the indoors world this afternoon watching the Tour de Suisse on the TV, probably in his childhood memories of the great wins made by the Swiss teams in his childhood days. Never heard of Ferdy Kübler - for every Swiss patiot he was the hero of the cyling world at the end of the 40's beginning 50's. In any case for me the cycling races are an opportunity to take in the wonderful landscape of the places where they go. Today was somewhere in the French alps, but I decided to leave hubby in peace.

I was reading a book outside but had the idea of taking camera for a walk. Just around the corner from where I live, up the hill we have a castle (see photo). These days it is mainly used for weddings, business conferences, concerts and all sorts of cultural happenings. I have been inside and it is well worth a visit (doing some plugging for our village). In the 18th century Solothurn, our local town, was the seat of the French Ambassador in Switzerland. He had his town residence in Solothurn, but his country residence was Castle Waldegg. It is also said that Casanova spent a few days there on holiday. It was sort of fogotton for many years until it was renovated. It was painted up, and the buildings were restored to the glory they had in days gone by. The alley of trees was also renewed and I remember the trees being planted a few years back. They have now grown into stately trees, reminding me how old I now am. When they were planted my kids were still going to school.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The alley leading to the castle has fields on either side belonging to various farmers of the region, so it was no exception to meet a few cows on the way. One of them looked at me and mooed take my photo, so I obliged. He is a typical Swiss cow, known as Simmentaler.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I then made my way up the hill. I would have loved to have shown a photo of the many crows I saw on the nearbye fields, but I found crows are sly. They were all nicely placed within camera range with zoom, sitting in the mowed down cornfield and as soon as they realised they were going to be immortalised by me, they flew away to the other end of the field. As the fields are very big, I decided to continue on my way to the castle. When I eventually arrived I looked back on the view. Under special weather circumstances you have a fully clear view from right to left of the Swiss Alps including the famous three, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Today was just a normal day, so here is the view without the alps.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I then made my way homewards and passed by the local riding school. At the moment it seems to be holiday time and there were no lessons being given. However, I did find one horse on his own. He wasn't interested in me and he seemed to be hungry.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was now finished with my excursion. Walking is supposed to be healthy, but I must admit I did feel a bit worn out and was not sorry be returning home. The last part of the walk was also surrounded by an alley, but this was much older than the road leading to the castle and the trees are naturally taller. When I got home hubby was still watching the Tour de France. I said I thought it was nearly finished, but had to learn that the race takes two weeks (lots of time for more photo safaris).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment