Followers

Friday 25 July 2014

WordPress Daily Prompt: On Bees and Efs

Do you — or did you ever — have a Best Friend? Do you believe in the idea of one person whose friendship matters the most? Tell us a story about your BFF (or lack thereof).

I do not do so much private in my bloggy life, even if I do tend to regularly arrive here daily. Best friends just happen, and yes, it happened to me and that is all I am saying about it. Both of us do not wear our hearts or feelings on our sleeves. The friendship is now more than 50 years, even if a couple of countries lie in between.


Of course there are a couple of other friends I have met through life.

Tabby

“You mean me Mrs Human?”

“Of course Tabby, we have known each other for at least twelve years.”

“That is more coincidence. If I had not adopted you as pet human, I would have starved and had to hunt for my food myself. The word “friend” does not exist in Meow, never has and never will.”

“But you must have friends amongst other felines.”

“Forget it, we are too busy organising our territorial rights. Have you ever seen me walk paw in paw with another feline?”

“You were always together with your departed litter sister Nera.”

“We have a hierarchy and she was the boss and I was her assistant. She often had instructions for me to follow, like give our apprentice feline Fluffy a sharp hiss to keep him in order or a paw swipe. Now she has gone to the eternal corn chambers hunting mice for Bastet and I am the chief. Mrs. Human. Bring me a morsel to eat; a vitamin pellet will do for the moment. You can plan the tuna fish for the evening.”

And so I obediently fetched a dish filled with vitamin pellets. There was no thank you or appreciative meow.

So I live my isolated life with just I, me and myself and the virtual friends I have gathered over the years on Internet. I had many so-called friends that played games with me in facebook. We built a kingdom in a place called Yoville. I possessed an apartment and a house and was thinking about a beach villa, but this did not happen. I was too busy building a café in another game and Yoville was destroyed. The developers of the game decided to demolish Yoville. Two days ago café world stopped existing. The powers that be in the gaming world decided it was no longer serving its purpose. OK, I stopped playing these games about five years ago as I realised it was more stress than real life and I was losing touch with real life.

Now I spend some time daily writing a blog, but this is not stress, just fun for me. I enjoy writing. I have met many people in this bloggy world and if we had one, we would all be wearing WordPress t-shirts to prove our bond, but we have no t-shirts, we just have our online address.

Some people have a Facebook phobia. “I am not in Facebook” they say with pride, and you notice the hidden hints of perhaps being assaulted, your passwords stolen or infected with the dreaded “I am watching you” virus. Some threaten to leave Facebook, as they have been infriltrated with stories about their identities being stolen and even their photos. I have been there for many years and am still alive; perhaps a little tattered at the edge, but Facebook only knows what you tell them. Recently I was cloned, yes cloned. Someone decided to make a second me. I think they were very brave. I do not even like my reflection in the mirror. I received messages from  facebook, friends I did not even know I had in this virtual world. They told me that strange things were happening on my page.

Eventually son No. 2 phoned me (from somewhere in East Europe – he was on a business trip) and had reported it all to Facebook. What my son was doing in Facebook in a country that I could not even pronounce the name of, I do not know, but he saved the day. Facebook organised everything and all was back to normal by the evening. I received a telephone call from a one-time workmate (I no longer work – am too old) and she asked what was wrong with my Facebook page. I realised that I am under observation. Of course everyone meant well with me and the next day, after a new password and a few alterations in my profile, I was up and running again.

Facebook is OK, they only know what you tell them and I definitely would not diverge my secrets in facebook. They do not even know that I love all my relations as I never told them. I have my own page on Facebook and generally remain there, crossposting my prize suspicious blogs on WordPress.

To do Facebook justice, I would add that I found quite a few old school friends and relations there, so everything is not so bad, but I am not a phobia type of person.


Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. I did have a 'best friend' through my school days, and another through my later teen years. But times change, people move on with their lives. I have not seen or heard of either for many many years now. To be honest, I don't really miss having 'close friends'. I do enjoy my wide community of online friends, even if they cannot be considered as 'close' friends.

    ReplyDelete