Followers

Thursday 7 November 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Cheering Section

Do you have a mentor? Tell us about him or her. Are you a mentor to someone else? Tell us what that relationship has added to your life. 

Photographers, artists, poets: show us SUPPORT.




Honeysuckle


The honeysuckle in my garden needed support otherwise it would have lead a wandering life over the ground and its flowers would probably have been covered in mud and dirt.

I had a look at the daily prompt to see which victims had already contributed, and at 14.45 my time (2.45 pm) there were no links up on the computer, so this does not seem to be a great inspiration for a daily blog. It was not my inspiration either. I decided to go on a google tour to see what this mentor stuff was really about (pingback to yesterday’s promt) and I found the wise explanation in Wikipedia
“someone who imparts wisdom to and shares knowledge with a less experienced colleague”

which brought me to the conclusion that I do not have a mentor. When you have grey hair and aches and pains and bones do not twist and turn as quickly as they used to, then you do not seek wisdom or knowledge, but mostly cures and tablets.

Of course, you are never too old to learn and at the moment Mr. Swiss is giving me daily instructions on how to record programmes from the television. I am not really a television person, prefer a good book or my iPad, but I would be sorry if I missed one of the daily half hours of my favourite and only soap – East Enders. This programme often clashes with a political discussion or documentary, as well as perhaps a German detective series meaning that Mr. Swiss would miss out on his wishes for viewing. For this reason, and as a token of his consideration to my likes and tastes (ok he has also become a faithful follower of the doings in Walford, East London over the years) he records the live programme so that I we can watch it at a more appropriate time.

I am learning and learning fast, and after two weeks intensive training with the remote, I am almost there: almost because I am now able to record the programme. Tuning into the correct channel (we have more than 200), organising the beginning and end time and pressing the OK button is no problem. I can even check to make sure everything is ready to go. I still need some training with starting the play back, but I am making progress. You are really never too old to learn. I do get somewhat confused when I check to find there are many other recordings on the list which had been programmed by my mentor Mr. Swiss, so I hope I make the correct choice when performing a playback.

Of course I can also play mentor when Mr. Swiss decides to iron his shirts or other articles. However, to be quite honest, those days are long gone and due to having a perfect teacher (me) he has everything under control. Oh what wonderful sounds I sometimes hear early in the morning from the ironing board being set up and the steam escaping from the iron.

As this is such an inspirational daily prompt, I am now coming to a close.

My chief cat is approaching.

“Mrs. Human”

“Yes Nera”

“I could teach you how to catch a mouse. You just have to wait at the entrance to their home, perhaps place a paw in the hole and be ready to pounce.”

“Errr – no I do not think so Nera. Very nice of you to offer, but mouse is not my favourite dish.”

“Try it with a pinch of tarragon and garnished with catmint, it is a delicacy.”

I just love my felines, they always have such good ideas.

Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. I have acted as a mentor in my job several times in the past few years, when there has been a new intake of fresh-faced beginners Once they have gone through the initial induction and all the theory....I was part of the team that mentored them in the 'live' enviroment.

    Who cannot see eye to eye with whom? You'll have to see my 'Creative Challenge' entry to find out!!

    ReplyDelete