Followers

Saturday 18 May 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Feed Your Senses

Write the first sight, sound, smell and sensation you experienced on waking up today. Pick the one you are most drawn to and write. (For a bigger challenge picke the one you are most drawn to.)

I absolutely do not find that picking a sense I am least drawn to in the morning is a bigger challenge. Perhaps my blog will explain why.

Photographers show us one of the five senses - bonus points for depicting a smell!


Sunrise Migros, Langendorf


What was the first sense I used today? It is the same every morning, a need to visit the bathroom. I think this motivates most of us in the morning to leave our comfortable beds. Generally I return to bed and sleep further.

In summer the nights are shorter, the days are longer. My first thought in the morning is that I survived the night. A source of light enters my bedroom through the blinds and I know all is well. The sunrise has cast its magical spell on my part of the world. I realise without having a peek at the clock that it must be around five in the morning. My sight has already been teased by sunlight and now my hearing takes its turn. The birds have a singing competition in front of my window, each one trying to sing louder and longer than its colleague. I welcome these sights and sounds every summer morning. The world is still here, everything is in its place and I can relax in my bed and muse on the day ahead, being thankful that I have another day ahead. Whether I sleep further or not, that is not important. It is just good to know I am here.

Winter is perhaps not so noisy. No birds singing in the morning, but perhaps the clap of the letter box when the newspaper arrives. I often spare a thought to the person who visits us during the week regularly to make sure that my daily news arrives through all weathers. The snow may be falling silently which alerts my senses only when I draw the curtains; a blinding shock to my eyes so early in the morning.

We have many sense battles to fight early in the morning. Perhaps my felines might be scratching on the bedroom door. “Let me in” says Tabby, who has the need for a morning cuddle, although usually it is “Let me out” as the cat flap is closed at night and they have a few chores to perform in the surroundings. Find the mouse is a favourite game, or just let’s have a sniff and see who has infiltrated our territory during the night.

As far as sense of smell is concerned, there are no strong smells of coffee escaping from the kitchen. A cooked breakfast is not my thing, or Mr. Swiss. We are content with our do-it-yourself breakfast, which is mainly odourless. We do not use a coffee perculator, a cup of instant, and I only drink tea.
Sensations: oh yes, the older you get the less pleasant they are. The days are gone when I would leave the bed like a spring lamb. The mornings have become a slow motion film, each movement following the other carefully and deliberately. No running to the kitchen, just one step after the other. Every morning is more or less the same thing and today was nothing different.

The sensation I am most drawn to is a mixture of seeing and hearing. Waiting on the kitchen table, where it was deposited the evening before. I connect it to the electric supply and wait for a few moments, until it illuminates its corner. Is it the toaster, sending a smell of freshly roasted bread into the kitchen? No it is my computer of course. A wave of delight and relief passes through my still unawakened brain. It’s alive and all is well.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have covered all the bases here, I can't think of anything further to add!!

    I look forward to seeing your photos for this week's 'special' Picture This :-))

    ReplyDelete