Followers

Saturday 18 August 2007

Our Daily Bread


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


On Sunday the shops are closed - at least in Switzerland in a place that does not belong to the tourist areas. This means you have to buy everything you need by Saturday, which I did, intending to bake a bread with my machine for Sunday. Guess what - I forgot. The result was on Sunday evening we had no bread. However, no despair, one shop is open in Solothurn the nearest large town (5 minutes by car) at the Railway Station, catering for all urgent needs.

I jumped into my car and drove through the town to the local Underground car park which was nearest to the station. As we are a general building site through town at the moment, everything takes a bit longer. However, I arrived at the car park safe and sound.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


After parking the car (2nd from right) I made my way to the station (a five minute walk). See photo of local railway station. Quite large and the shop is left at the entrance.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And just to show it is really a railway station here are photos of the railway lines, one going in the direction of Zürich, the next direction Geneva (our town is sort of in the middle).



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There seemed to be enough bread available, although there were two customers before me also buying bread, so I did not feel so alone with my problem. I had another five minute walk back to the car park, so took a couple of photos on the way of the station surroundings. I was wondering why stations have such ugly buildings nearby.

This is the main center for the post office, the post arriving by train of course.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The next buildings on the way were the main offices and printing rooms of the local newspaper "Solothuner Zeitung", printers being Vogt-Schild


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There was even a local train just going past, the service going through the Jura with end station Délémont or Moutier.

After leaving the railway lines I arrived at a large square which was built some two years ago complete with restaurant and some office blocks. As it was Sunday the restaurant was closed so there was no chance of refreshment on the way.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There are a few shops in this part of the town and here is a view of the main road, naturally very quiet as everything was closed.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Eventually I arrived at the entrace to the parking house, tired but happy, and made my way home, my handbag containing a fresh loaf of bread.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How thankful my family was to see that I had arrived safely and that our evening meal would be complete with the daily bread. There were some comments about why it took so long, but I decided if I was going on a unwished for car trip I would make the most of it and take a few photos on the way. I did get a few strange looks from the few passers-bye in town. And here a last photo of the entrace to the parking house to show how my journey was succesfully completed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment