Followers

Sunday 11 January 2015

WordPress Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention - and some Luxumburgerli

Pick a contentious issue about which you care deeply — it could be the same-sex marriage debate, or just a disagreement you’re having with a friend. Write a post defending the opposite position, and then reflect on what it was like to do that.

I did not like this prompt when it first arrived and now it has arrived the second time, I dislike it even more, but these things are sent to try us, to test us. I care about nothing as deep as my senior state pension, my food and my family, not exactly in this order, but this is a blog not a political edict.

At the moment I care about what has happened in France. I am not Charlie, I am just an ordinary human being that does not believe that people should be killed because of a cartoon. I do not see why so many political leaders have decided to partake on a march in Paris to prove how wrong the killings of journalists were when some of them have prisons full of journalists, have killed journalists in the name of politics and to stop the freedom of the press. It is indeed a strange world that we live in. But these political leaders that are marching are convinced that what they are doing is correct.That is how they justify their decisions to the people of their country and to outsiders. I am not Charlie, have never read a copy of Charlie Hebdo,  but if the cowardly assault had been made against the staff of Private Eye or Nebelspalter, I do not know how i would react. 

Enough politics, I cannot solve the problems, just register my feelings.



Luxemburgeli

Yesterday I overheard an interesting conversation between No. 1 son and Mr. Swiss.

“I am going to Zürich for the day” said No. 1 son. He is autistic, but very independent and likes to spend a day in Zürich now and again, usually hunting through record shops.  He is content with a lunch break at MacDonalds and enjoys the train ride, about an hour from where we live.

Mr. Swiss: “While you are in Zürich bring us a box of Luxumburgeli”. My ears picked up. Luxumbergerli are a sweet speciality to be bought in the Lindt and Sprüngli shop, the original version and not the cheat lookalikes that you can buy in any Tom, Dick or Harry shop.

No. 1 son is very good at carrying out missions and he seeks and finds to the bitter end, so it was not surprising when he arrived with the Luxumburgerli. I like them, but do not really die for them, just a change from a bar of chocolate. Mr. Swiss put the Luxumburgerli in the fridge. They are very delicate in preparation and stay fresh in the fridge. I forgot them. My sugar levels tend to be on the higher side at the moment: not that I have to go on the needle but the blood sugar is rising. I forgot the Luxumburgeli until I had finished today’s golden oldie sleep after lunch. I had a fancy for something completely different and whilst searching through the contents of the fridge I saw this innocent little box tucked away somewhere at the back. I decided yes, they are not cheap (I believe the box cost around CHF 25.00) and decided to indulge.

“You didn't say anything yesterday and I thought you weren’t interested” said Mr. Swiss.

“I said nothing because I forgot them.”

“Why are you emptying the box and spreading them on the table?” Did I see a flash of suspicion in his eyes, thinking I want them all?

“I want to take a photo, it would make a good blog.”

“But they are spreading crumbs over the table.”

You can never do anything right, but I assured him that I would remove the surface of crumbs on the table. Everyone was happy and I chose three examples from the box in my favourite flavours, not wanting to overindulge.

“They are not as good as they used to be” I ventured to mention.

“Oh, why?”

“They do not taste very fresh and have an overpowering blend of hazelnut.”


It was decided that the next return journey from  Zürich would not be accompanied by a box of Luxumburgeli. I am now searching in Internet to find other sweet delights from Zürich.

1 comment:

  1. Those Luxemburgeli are interesting, I've not seen them before.

    ReplyDelete