Followers

Friday 4 April 2014

WordPress: Michelle's Weekly Pet Challenge: The English Mega Monster Pigeon

English pigeons in the tree


There they are waiting in the tree top. Are they eagles, albatross, falcons, comorants? Were these the birds that Alfred Hitchcock chose for his film “The Birds”, assasins of the air, pouncing on unsuspecting cats, or even humans.

No, this seems to be the average typical English pigeon, at least these were what I saw last week when I was visiting my father in England. He had moved to supported housing, being 98 years old and now needing care for his daily life, although he still has his own apartment. The view from his window was a lovely garden, and of course the bird life.

We have pigeons in Switzerland, but nice little pigeons, perhaps a bit drab, but manageable. The pigeons I saw in this part of London seemed to be a product of a genetic bird treatment creating monsters on wings. Mega birds, monster birds, trained to pounce and kill anything that moved. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but they are big. They perch in trees and seem to be waiting, probably for a suitable victim. Admittedly I did not see anyone laying in agony on the ground as a bird made off with a limb or piece of human in its beak. I also did not see pigeons in the sky with a cat clutched in its claws. Perhaps my imagination was running wild. Our pigeons in Switzerland eat bread crumbs or perhaps grass seeds thrown on the ground, fed by children or adults. I had the impression that you do not feed these pigeons, they would just help their selves and feed on you.

According to Wikipedia these are The Common Wood Pigeon . It seems they are vegetarian and a larger version of the normal pigeon.

I just hope my father keeps his window shut at night, you never know.

Here is a closer view of one of these pigeons.



English pigeon


Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, those pigeons can look big. When they plump up their feathers when it's cold they look huge. Makes you wonder if they'd even be able to take off!! :-))

    ReplyDelete