Followers

Monday 17 February 2014

WordPress Daily Prompt: With or Without You

Tell us about the time you threw down the gauntlet and drew the proverbial line in the sand by giving someone an ultimatum. If you’ve never handed out an ultimatum but secretly wanted to, describe the scene and what you would say to put an end (one way or another) to an untenable situation. 

Photographers, artists, poets: show us COMPLEX.




Migros, Langendorf


I found a complex photo: part of the parking lot of our local supermarket, although this part is always kept clear for various advertising tents.

And now to the daily prompt where I am really thinking about throwing down the gauntlet and wondering what this is becoming. I used to like doing daily prompts. They arrive regularly at the beginning of the afternoon and as it is a prompt, I let myself be prompted. Today I wonder if I should not rather show a photo of the confessional box in the local cathedral (yes, I have one of those) as this would suit the situation.

I am not perfect in any way; I even do my best not to be perfect. Perfect people are boring and can be an annoyance. I am just me. I do not throw down gauntlets and lines in the sand are not my thing.

Switzerland is in the middle of Europe and if you travel you are soon at the edge. We are surrounded by lines called borders, not in the sand, sometimes a lake or a road. Once we were on holiday in the Italian part of Switzerland, in Brissago. We did a trip to Italy which was just over the main road, but we took the back road as we wanted to visit a town called Luino which is on Lake Maggiore and it was quicker. We crossed the border at a place called Fornasette, not that we actually saw Fornasette. We were suddenly confronted by a barrier. On the one side there were two Swiss customs guards that waved us through. On the other side two Italian guards that rubbed their hands in glee when they saw a car approaching with a Swiss car number plate. We had to stop. They searched everything and found nothing except for a few dirty towels I had forgotten. I think one of the kids was sick and they were used on the way. This was a few years ago. We arrived in Luino but unfortunately there was a funeral procession, it must have been someone very important. In Italy they do these things in style, everyone walking slowly behind the horse drawn funeral wagon. We almost threw down the proverbial gauntlet as we were driving in first gear until the procession turned off into the cemetery.

I have been thinking about giving an ultimatum to the daily prompt. Either you bring something positive, bestow me with a Noble or Pulitzer prize for my efforts, or I will no longer partake. On the other hand I have a feeling that I will not be missed by WordPress (unless I do not renew my .com privilege, which costs). However, there are some interesting blogs written for this daily gauntlet challenging task. I have seen Russians advertising for their life style, having nothing to do with the challenge. I have been spammed by advertisements for jewellery and beauty creams, I have seen it all, so why should I stop. There are times when I fit this daily untenable situation (huh? sounds good) in between cleaning windows and garden work. This was today’s case. I cut my buddleia to a suitable height for Spring and cleaned all the windows on the East side (the West side has its turn next week).

I will now come to close without any confessions about hurling gloves at unsuspecting people or digging a ditch in the garden to separate myself from the neighbours. Switzerland has enough ditches. One is called the Rösti ditch. Rösti is a well known Swiss German fried potato dish, and the Rösti ditch is a proverbial name for the line splitting the French speaking population from the German population. It can be quite interesting sometimes when we have one of our monthly votes, especially when the French Swiss decide differently to the German Swiss, but that is life, although some politicians have not yet realised this.

I will now finish this work of literature, to draw the borders between writing and an hour of Tai Chi practice, wondering which song title will be chosen for tomorrow’s prompt. Perhaps “I can’t get no satisfaction”?


Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. I'm a firmer believer that confrontation should always be a last resort, when all other avenues of approach have been exhausted. I've managed to go through life without resorting to lines in the sand and ultimatums very much (that's not to say never, sometimes it's unavoidable!!)

    ReplyDelete