Followers

Wednesday 11 September 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Thank You

The internet is full of rants. Help tip the balance: today, simply be thankful for something (or someone). 

Photographers, artists, poets: show us THANKS.



Wasp dinner


I begin with my photo of wasps having a feast on our grapes. We were completely unthankful for their presence on the porch when we were eating lunch or dinner. They were everywhere. I even saw a wasp carefully cutting a piece of ham and flying off to his home where the children and other wasp tribal members were rubbing their legs together in anticipation. Of course we were annoyed; unthankful for their presence, but then I had an idea. There was only a remainder of the grapes that they were so keen on, so I placed them a distance away from the table on the ground in a dish and left the wasps to it You have to give to take. I had a collection of thankful happy wasps. Their tiny wasp stomachs were full of grape juice and the main thing was they left us humans alone. This was a week ago. The grapes are still there and I have not seen a wasp since on the table. Even a wasp has a positive purpose in his little wasp life and Internet tells me that they are

Predators of spiders, caterpillars, ants, bees, and flies.

Pollinators of plants.

although I do not mind spiders and bees, but the other points on the list are positive so you see wasps also have their purpose in life. Let us be thankful for the wasp plague that visits us every Autumn.

The Internet is full of rants – I suppose it depends on your surfing path on Internet. Of course, I would be so glad to thank the people concerned for my Pulitzer/Nobel prize for literature, for changing the course of history, but I am still waiting for the opportunity.

It seems to me that Internet balances itself with rants and praise. Although this is not just Facebook, it is the best example for judging things. There are now more than a billion members to this social site, like it or not. Nearly 800 of them are connected to myself although it is a basic one hundred that I really know. The rest are just passengers picked up during my gaming addiction. The only thing I know about them is how their fictional kitchen/farm made progress by me satisfying their wishes for various gifts. We were only there for the ride it seems and I jumped off the train a few years ago.

If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend then it is better to play low and nice. Do not cheat or act mean otherwise you run a risk of being exposed to your friends, friends of friends, and according to how your profile is, to half the world as being mean, thoughtless unnecessary ballast in life. Everyone will know and you will be avoided. On the other hand Facebook has a positive side. We can show the world that we love our mother, father, brother, sister, dog, cat and there is even a lable for brothers-in-law and sister-in-law as well as cousins. There is no end to the thanks you can express in this make believe world. Of course a religious side also exists – something for everyone.

Today is 11.09. – a date engraved in the minds of most of us in the Western world. Facebook is full of this, as well as other sites I belong to and quite rightly. I remember the day because I was staying with my father in London, watching television in the afternoon and waiting for my cousin to arrive who I had no seen for many years. He was picking dad and I up with the car to bring him to his house, where his mother was, my father’s sister-in-law, my aunt. There was an old black and white film running on the television and then the picture changed to show a plane crashing into a tall building. I had not really been concentrating and thought it was a preview of some sort of catastrophe film. Then I realise it was reality. My father entered the room asking what that is for a film. We were both somehow caught in the reality of an unrealistic world. Slowly I realised what was happening. It was unbelievable, but I automatically said to dad I am sure Bin Laden is behind this. He asked who Bin Laden was – do not forget my father was eighty years old at the time. Although I am English, this crime was against humanity and so today I am thanking the people that did what they could to help. I see this all over Internet today. I once stood on the top floor of one of the towers, ate in the restaurant, sometime in the 1990’s when the towers were still standing. All the more the impact realising that these two towers just collapsed with their inhabitants, never to exist again.

So just let it be said that I am thankful for living, being lucky and an environment where I do not have to fear for my life. I just hope it remains this way. Are you reading this Mr. Obama, Mr. Putin and Mr. Assad, or does it not interest you?


Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure those particular wasps were also saying thanks for meeting with a considerate human, willing to compromise rather than just swatting them with a rolled-up newspaper or spraying them with poison!!

    I am thankful for meeting so many people on the internet who share a passion for photography and sharing the beauty of their part of the world with others.

    There is just as much good (maybe more) on the internet as there is bad.

    ReplyDelete