Followers

Sunday 8 September 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: The Excitement Never Ends

Tell us about the last thing you got excited about — butterflies-in-the-stomach, giggling, can’t-wait excited. 

Photographers, artists, poets: show us EXCITEMENT.




Orchids

See the orchid on the left, the mauve flower on the stalk accompanied by a few buds. That was the excitement of the summer. An orchid I had forgotten, pushed to one side, ready for the trash can and then …. Yes, it decided to say “save me, I am still alive”, so I did and bought a few more to keep it company. Nothing worse than a lonely orchid left alone to its fate. Now it is much happier and rewards me now and again with a new flower. The excitement knows no end.

Otherwise “giggle” is a “no word” in my language. I hate it, sounds childish and not my thing, my teenage years left me with The Rolling Stones and the Beatles. I do not mind a good belly laugh now and again, nice and loud with tears in the eyes, but giggle no.

When I think of it, what does an almost 67 year old lady have to get excited about today- I have to be careful, the older you get, the nearest to a heart attack, so let us not overdo it. In my sheltered golden oldie life, I do not get excited, I prefer surprises. I remember when WordPress decided I was to become freshly pressed. I had never heard of this, just wrote my daily blog in the hope I would be recognised for my services to literature, like a Pulitzer prize. OK, I know, this is repeating itself, but you have to stay on the target to become successful.

So there I was sitting at my computer and decided to see who had sent me an e-mail. One of those little pleasures of an elderly lady: contact with the outside world and there it was, a personal e-mail from WordPress, telling me not to answer it and talking about being freshly pressed. Did they think I was not the correct shape for a blogger, perhaps too old, my weight expanding and going too far south? I should be pressed, a size or two less? I do not care if I am showing off, but at my age these little daily happenings make it all worthwhile. You do not have many pleasures in life as the years advance. For my super prize freshly pressed blog I was overwhelmed with comments, likes and still am. Just little things pleasing a retired mind. I did not giggle; I remained cool (but found I was visiting my WordPress site every five minutes to find out what would happen next).

I think my next excitement was finding that my sugar levels had sunk since I started to take my diabetes diet seriously, meaning I still do not have to go on the needle. I belong to a Facebook bookclub, Goodreads, and was contacted by a writer who writes future science fiction books. He offered me a free copy of his latest – another surprise. I am now reading it, something completely different.

This week I reached 1,000 followers on WordPress. Was I surprised, sort of. If I remember rightly I had started to count seriously when I reach 980, this being the final count down, and knowing it would happen soon. I received my badge, although honestly said, a nice animated firework display with all the trimmings would also have been appreciated, but you cannot have everything.

To be quite honest I am always happy and glad to see all those wonderful people, my disciples,in WordPress that take time to read my posts
and perhaps even comment. I hope one day you will all be rewarded when I become famous and collect my prize, that you can say we knew her when she was a nobody, adding Pingbacks to her blogs and taking her first steps in the blog world. Of course you will all be invited to Stockholm or The States for the prize giving ceremony according to whether it is the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize. The Man Booker prize is in England I believe.

Just to add butterflies in the stomach are also not my thing. The only time I have them is when my cats are picked on by another cat where there is a fight for territorial rights. You never know if they survive or not. Otherwise the only butterflies I have are those in my garden where they belong. Although I did have a few when I was awaiting the birth of my sons, but they call that early morning sickness I think.


Click here for more

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about 'excited', not a word I use a lot. Pleasurable anticipation, perhaps? That's something I get from time to time.

    Certainly when the time is approaching for me to fly out to the US for another holiday with Joanne, I get that.

    I am a movie fan, but it's too far to the nearest cinema to make it an economical trip. So, I wait with anticipation for a movie I am waiting to see to be released on DVD.

    Looking forward to the onset of each Spring and Summer is also something on my list.....time to break out the camera for another's years photography :-))

    ReplyDelete