Followers

Saturday 29 June 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: No Longer a Mere Mortal

You’ve imbibed a special potion that makes you immortal. Now that you’ve got forever, what changes will you make in your life? How will you live life differently, knowing you’ll always be around to be accountable for your actions?

Photographers, artists, poets: show us LONGEVITY.




Tortoise

I suppose that little fella’ in the photo could tell us a lot about longevity. With good care they live almost forever.

“What do you think, if I took a potion and would live forever?” I asked Mr. Swiss.

“I wouldn’t mind living forever” was the reply, probably having dreams of developing his drumming art to perfection.

“No, just me”

“No, not a good idea.”

I will not say how the conversation developed further. Suffice it to be said it was not met with full approval.

Would I really want to live forever, be immortal? Being witness to everyone I know going to the happy hunting grounds and leaving me all alone behind. Of course I could do everything I always wanted to; learn various foreign languages, visit all the countries I want to. I would survive my felines, my family would no longer exist just future generations. The world as it is today is different to the world I grew up in. I am a golden oldie and still have fun with modern times, but I have gradually grown into it. Would I be so successful in one hundred years with the developments in the world?

Thinking on a positive development, the answer would be yes please; seeing the modern technical developments, new ways of travel, a cure being found for incurable illnesses. It sounds great.

On the other hand, would I be witness to overpopulation in the world a result being hunger, not enough food to cover the needs. Would I see the next development of a bomb or poison able to destroy a country in five minutes? All this I would see and could do nothing about it and I might even be the only survivor in an empty desolate world.

I know I am painting a dismal picture. I would be alone, my friends and family that I know would be long gone.

Somehow I think Mr. Swiss would be right. Eternal life would not be my thing. I would not want to change my life to accommodate this new life for forever. I am sure I would not be happy.

Another thing that just came to my mind: I would be doing this daily prompt for ever and ever. Just imagine: a new blog every day forever, with something different. I think my blog would become boring and no-one would bother to read it any more. Let us have fun and savour the moments we have or would you like to read a blog written in say another fifty years by me. I do not think I would like to read it or even write it myself.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I would want to be immortal either, and for many of the same reasons that you have given.

    ReplyDelete