Followers

Wednesday 22 May 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Goals

When you started your blog, did you set any goals? Have you achieved them? Have they changed at all?



Van der Sar ready for action

Did someone mention goals? Now here is my all-time favourite goalie, the Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Saar in goal for Manchester Utd. I took the photo from the TV, that is why the quality is not so good. The match was Manchester Utd. against Chelsea in the UEFA Cup Final 2008. Manchester won, but it was penalties at the end. With such a perfect goalie of course they won.

This was a few years ago, and Van der Saar is no longer the young active goalie he was, but you must admit he is a good looker.

I am sure he was glad that his team scored enough goals, but I have scored enough in my blogging history? To be quite honest I never had any goals. I started blogging about ten years ago and I did not even know what I was doing. It reminded me of school. The teacher would give you a subject and you wrote an essay. Sometimes the subjects were boring, sometimes they were ok, and if you were in the right mood you even got somewhere with it. I did have two essays in print in our school magazine, and still have the original magazines today.

Over the years you had a family, went to work and there was really no time for blogging. I do not even think that the word existed as such when my children were between nappies and doing homework. I actually only really discovered blogging through learning the purpose of a computer. Mr. Swiss decided we must have an e-mail address. I did not even want one, I was too busy with the housework. I think we must have been one of the first to have a .com or whatever. Years go by, and you start to think “what can I do with my computer?”
Mr. Swiss and I both used the computer daily when at work, but we also had a private use. Mr. Swiss had long discovered ipods and music downloads and somewhere along the line I even did a web assistant course, and had two web sites going: tempo passati, too much work and stress.

In between I started to blog. I did not really know what I was doing, but decided to tell the world what is happening in my insignificant life. I was still a working woman and even discovered writing challenges and photo challenges.

I still did not have any goals, and today I am also goalless. I just blog. Now and again you can run out of ideas, but we have things called “Daily Prompt” which feeds you with subjects to blog about. The nice thing about the Daily Prompt is that you can illustrate it and twist it according to your own wishes, or?

So to answer the question, I did not set any goals (too much stress), in which case I had nothing to achieve (except for showing a photo of my favourite goal keeper) and nothing could really change as there were not any goals in the first place.

Blogging is for me a fun thing, not a serious chance to become a discovered author (50 Shades of Blogging was never my thing). If I write a story it is because I have an idea. I do not make charts with notes on how to write, it just flows from my greying brain cells (I have even more than 50). My camera is always with me, ready to attack an unknowing subject. That is when Mr. Swiss disappears into another corner, away from me. I think he is worried that I might get arrested for being a paparazzi in the local supermarket.

So let us blog away: forget the housework, washing, ironing and cooking. It is not an easy life, I had to clean the kitchen and clear a few items of ironing before I sat down to this blog. I sometimes wonder how the well-known female authors manage to write their books. Do they have paid servants, or do they just leave everything and do a quick dust/hoover once a week. I have often wondered about this. Does J.R. Rowling with Harry Potter or E.L. James with her 50 Shades live in chaos? I know I would if I just blogged my day away.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same, I've never set any goals to my online activities. Well that's not quite true. I have a goal to keep the Picture This site running smoothly, but apart from that, none. I just do whatever I feel like doing at the time.

    Don't know if you missed it, but I posted a blog of my first proper Spring photography shoot recently. Lots of bird shots, which I know you like. If you have time for a look, it's HERE

    ReplyDelete