Followers

Friday 26 April 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Wall to Wall

What do you display on the walls of your home - photos, posters, artwork, nothing? How do you chose what to display? What mood are you trying to create?



P1030787

I have an artist in the family, Mr. Swiss. He has been painting for many years and brought most of his art works with him when we got married: sometimes in oil and often aquarelle. So what do we have on the walls of our home? paintings of course.

My family did not have such a connection to art. Now and again dad would take me for a walk around an art gallery in London, but more often we visited museums. The only paintings we might have had on the wall at home in London were probably bought at the local market, so nothing original. I have my husband a lot to thank that I actually recognise what art is and appreciate it. He introduced me to a lot of painters. If we went anywhere on holiday a visit to the local art gallery was always included. Yes, I saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre in Paris, but I saw a lot of other paintings as well. New York was a fantastic experience. They had a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition in the Guggenheim museum so that was a must visit.

A few years ago Mr. Swiss and I went to the art gallery in Bern, Switzerland, where they had a Picasso exhibition of his blue period. Yes, I even appreciate modern paintings, even Andy Warhol with his Campbell Soup tins and Marilyn Monroe would suit me to have on the wall.

We do know a few artists, and bought an original a few weeks ago, which is now hanging in one of the rooms. It is such an interesting painting, that I have put that on one side to write a story one day.

We do not only have Mr. Swiss originals on the walls, but mostly. In every room there are paintings, either from Mr. Swiss or chosen by him. I think when we move house, the first thing we do is to hang the paintings before we start arranging the furniture.

We are not trying to create any sort of mood, a picture is a picture and you either like it or you do not.

Of course the blog illustrations are originals by Mr. Swiss.



P1030792

No comments:

Post a Comment