Followers

Monday 22 April 2013

WordPress Daily Prompt: Earworm

What song is stuck in your head (or on permanent rotation on your CD or MP3 player) these days? Why does it speak to you?



Music Leue 039


I do not do Earworms any more really. I grew up with one son that loved Beatles, Rolling Stones and everything in that line of music which was more my style, being a teenager of the sixties. His younger brother discovered Nirvana, when I thought it was a state of some sort of transcendential hovering in another time and space. A strange record cover with a baby swimming, but son No. 2 explained it all. I could still not engage myself for their musical chords

I have been married for the last 44 years to a jazz drummer, on the photo on the left at a jazz concert in a local restaurant with one of the groups he plays with. Also a golden oldie like myself, but the music remains part of his life. Music is also the background to my daily life. Now that the kids are no longer kids, they do their music in other places and I am left with a background of Dizzy Gillespie, Cannonball Adderly, John Coltrane and all the rest from that time and style of music. I am an expert on bebop, mainstream jazz by accident.

I quite like the classics, according to my mood. A soothing background of opera or a Mozart composition is always welcome. I visited many opera performances when I was still living in London, mostly at Sadlers Wells opera company, and often listened to recordings, with the result that I know what is coming next when I listen to an opera.

Modern day music is no longer to my taste and most of the rhythms and music notes are forgotten as soon as the record is finished. I always seem to return to Paolo Conte, my own personal favourite. I have the complete collection of this records, saw him once live in a concert in Bern, Switzerland and today it is the fil rouge that still exists in my music word. He has a light sing-song way of singing, writes his songs himself. I do understand Italian, but that is not really necessary. Now and again he throws some English into his songs, not exactly Queen’s English, but it suits the swing of his music.

I can imagine that most of you are taking this opportunity to plaster your blog with your favourite tunes. In this sense I will leave you with one of the Paolo Conte recordings I found on YouTube. "A Lemon Icecream" would be the translation.


1 comment:

  1. I am positive I posted a comment on Monday, what is up with Blogger at the moment. Hugs you.

    ReplyDelete