Followers

Tuesday 20 November 2012

The Arum Flower of Basel, Switzerland

It stinks, it is more than two meters high and flowers every 2 years. Yesterday it flowered again, the Arum flower, in the Botanical Garden in Basel.  It is quite a happening and if I had known I would have postponed my Tao Chi today, or my dental appointment tomorrow and perhaps my doctors appointment on Thursday. It only flowers for 2-3 days and a photo would really have been something. However, auntie Internet is always ready so here it is, the Arum flower known in latin as Amorphophallus titanum (which I will not translate).



Arum Flower

I just saw it on the Swiss news this evening.

6 comments:

  1. It's awesome, isn't it? It flowered here a few years ago in the Botanical Gardens of Leiden University. I didn't have a camera then so I never thought of going. Next time I will surely try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this species featured in a 'natural world' documentary not too long ago. Fascinating plants. What a shame you missed the chance to photograph it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! That's what we call a Corpse Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very beautiful plant... so big!... I had never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is huge, much bigger than my arum lillies around the pond, must be a special kind of arum flower, thank you for sharing. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That is quite some flower. Would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete