Friday, 12 June 2009

The Accident - Part 2


So there we were, operation completed and two days of starvation - although basically because I just could not eat. It was Friday and I began to realise that I was in a real world. In the meanwhile the farmer's wife with the broken foot had gone home to be replaced by a another broken foot. A lady got trapped with her motor cycle in a pot hole in the road and did a somersault through the air. She was also delivered by ambulance. Luckily (or unluckily) it was only her foot that had a few broken bones, but at least there was someone to talk to.

I even began eating. Actually I was quite sly I suppose, but did not realise it at the time. Being diabetic I was on a diabetic diet in the hospital. Our hospital food is not bad. You can choose what you want and lunch is usually a soup, followed by meat and the trimmings and then a desert. Being a diabetic, you also get supplied with inbetween things. I don't know why, but I was getting plates of fruit (pineapple, grapes and oranges) and also milk shakes - really good. To put you in the picture a Swiss hospital is comparable with a five star hotel. It even costs more. For my insurance (all is private is Switzerland) I pay 314 swiss francs a month and the hospital is included - normal of course. I could never be able to afford private (a single room) or half private (two in a room), but four-five people in a room is not so much and let's face it - I just have to have an audience.

Anyow I started getting doctors visits. They were mostly Germans, not Swiss, but my Mr. Swiss said they don't have enough Swiss doctors at the moment. Although there were a few attractive examples amongst the doctors. No, George Clooney was not there. I had a visit from a physio therapeut, but half an hour after she gave me her advice I had to go to the arm fixing center and they told me everything was different. Now that was an interesting department. One young doctor and two assistants. One assistant constructed a splint for my arm, just for nights to keep it still, which one night later I was told not to use anymore. The idea was to get my arm moving and not to have it fixed. I had quite some fun with those blokes in that department and with the use of a mirror they showed me the sewing work that the surgeon had done on my arm. Looked quite neat and colourful.

After my two days out of this world I can tell you I was not feeling very clean and washes at the sink are not my sort of thing. As you can imagine my hair was suffering as well. Then came the day when I said to the sister I want a shower. No problem, we had one in the room, very modern and the sister accompanied me. I really felt like Cleopatra. Don't do it yourself, just take it easy. Afterwards I felt like a new person. I even dared to go with my other half for a drink in the outside restaurant in the afternoon. It was then my daily routine with a shower in the morning.

One night was quite exciting. It was 2 in the morning and I had to go to the toilet. They let me wander around on my own now and again. When I got up I noticed lots of lights flashing outside. I thought it was full moon or a storm or something. Whilst I was in the toilet I heard a terrific loud noise. Eventually I was on my way back to bed and what did I see? A helicopter was landing outside - our window overlooked the landing place. So what do I do in such circumstances - naturally I get my camera ready and take a photo. We were all awake by then. Here is the result. Not a very good photo, but it is difficult to get it at the right angle. Generally most, if not all, hospitals in Switzerland have helicopter landing places. Either they deliver people from motorway accidents, or mountain accidents. I watched how the personal left the helicopter and wheeled the unfortunate away into the hospital on his stretcher - most interesting.

Helicopter landing hospital Solothurn

Sleeping is not so easy in a hospital, especially when you have to sleep on your back. My room colleagues had the same problem. As it was quite warm we were sleeping with the window open. Although in a country area there was a lot of noise sometimes late in the evening. Music and loud voices from men. I asked the sister, and she told me that next door to the hospital was the remand prison and the men did tend to make a lot of noise sometimes. I remember reading that in our local newspaper. There had been complaints. They often get their women standing outside in the evening and messages are shouted back and forth in foreign languages according to who is locked up. Here is a photo of the prison taken from our ward window. The saga continues later - after all it is not every day that you go to hospital.

View Southeast from Solothurn hospital

The prison is the building at the front on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment