Followers

Saturday 25 October 2008

Cooking with me - Apple rings

In Switzerland we have a series of cookery books called Betty Bossi. Betty Bossi does not exist, but if she did her family would have a cake for every day of the year. Betty Bossi also makes baking utensils and sells them with success. Her latest development is a form for baking apple fritters. The trouble with fritters is that the kitchen gets full of oily smells and the preparaton can get a bit messy. Here is how Betty Bossi does it. First of all you have to have the special form for baking. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and now it has arrived. Here are the ingredients for the apple rings (all in metric):

1 3/3 dl milk
2 Tablespoons of butter, to be melted and cooled off
1 egg yellow
70 grammes Flour
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 small spoon backing powder
1 egg white - stiffly beaten
2-3 apples
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (cinnamon powder mixed with sugar)


1

Here are the ingredients surrounding the form I got.


2

I have now put all the ingredients together in the blue bowl with the exception of the egg white (which has been beaten stiff in the white jug) and the apples. I mix all the ingredients together with the electric mixer.


3

I then add the beaten egg white and fold it into the mixture with the spatula.

4

The mixture is quite thick. I then leave it for 30 minutes to settle. I then take my apples, peel them, core them and cut them in rings about 8 mm thick.


5

The apple rings are then placed in the special oven form.

6

Then I pour enough of the cake mixture into each ring form to cover the apple rings until it is used up.


7

I then put the mixture in the cake form in the over preheated to 200° C and leave them to bake for 20 minutes.


8

Then remove the cakes from the form and turn them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. You can eat them warm or cold. On the recipe it is recommended to eat them with a vanilla sauce, but they taste just as good without. There is something in England called custard and that would go with them just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment