Followers

Sunday 20 April 2008

Some technical stuff

Tool School


I work for a company that makes milling tools. For those not so technically gifted, the photo shows a choice of some of our tools. They are inserted into machines and used for cutting into metal and making various objects. Not actually cutting, but milling, which means that the metal is sort of peeled away until you get the object that you need. It might be a mould for making other objects, or another tool made of metal. The work process starts with a block of metal and it gets formed by the milling tools.


Tool School

This is what is peeled off the original piece of metal. Metal is not just metal. It can be steel, aluminium, inconel (used in aerospace) or even cast iron. Depending on what sort of metal is being used as a component, the suitable type of end mill is applied. We have a "toolschool" where I work, reserved for visitors and training purposes, and I was able to make a few photos last week.


Tool School

This is a view of a half of the department showing a couple of the machines. Although I work in the business for the last 28 years I am not technician, know perhaps the names of the machines, but for what each one is used individually, I havn't a clue. My job is export, but when we have visitors from abroad we often accompany them to the demonstrations.


Tool School

Here you can see two screens attached to the machine. This is quite useful as when the machine is running the sliding doors are closed and you have a better look at the process. The machines run at such high speeds that the material being milled would just burn up, especially when carbide milling tools are used. For this reason a coolant is used, either oil, or a mixture of oil and water - an emulsion, and if the doors were not closed and you stick your nose in too deep you would end up with a shower.


Tool School

This is the steering mechanismus of one of the machines. With this you can steer the horizontal (x), vertical(y) and depth(z) of the cut as well as a few other things. If any technicians are reading this they are welcome to add their comments and corrections of course.


Tool School

This is some sort of microscope, probably for examining the state of the material after a test has been run. The results are shown on the computer terminal. This department is also used for various trials and tests on new developments in our products. As you can see the department was empty when I took my photos. I would probably not have been allowed otherwise. It is quite fascinating to be there when a trial is running or visitors are there. Not even so noisy as today the modern machines are well soundproofed. I naturally took a photo before I left to show what a nice view our technicians have from their window.

Gurzelenstr. Bellach

1 comment:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete